Wednesday, June 9, 2010

YOU'RE NOT HELPING

Yes, I take all of my children with me to the grocery store!

I would be a rich woman if I had a dollar for every time I heard, "You have your hands full!"

I also hear, "You bring your kids to the grocery store?  You're brave."

There's a thin line between brave and crazy, I always say!

Three quarters of the way through the grocery store, I'm ready to get out as fast as I can.  One week we got to the bottled water, and as I loaded the cart Garrett and Isabelle began pulling a gallon of lemonade off the shelf.

"Not helping!  You are not helping!"  I said, just as an older man turned onto our aisle.

"Well, it looks like they're helping to me," he said, "That's not helping?"

As the man moved along, I explained to them if they really wanted to be helpful, the most helpful thing they could do was to obey.

"Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD?  Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice." (1 Sam. 15:22)

This takes on so many different forms in our lives, but the root of it is all the same.  I want to do what I want to do and I justify it by calling it "helping."

We "help" God change the hearts of our loved ones by telling them what they should be doing.

We "help" keep the peace by not expressing our needs, concerns, opinions and feelings.

We "help" others by doing for them what they can do themselves, and is technically their responsibility.

In my own life my motivation is always fear, which leads to control.

I'm afraid another will make the wrong decision and cause themselves pain, which would hurt me.  Never mind if they need the lesson or not.

Or, I'm afraid they won't do what needs to be done, or do it right, because there is only one way to do things.

God's motivation is not for our comfort, but for our Christ-likeness.  This usually doesn't happen without pain.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart - these, O God, You will not despise." (Ps. 51:17)

God loves us enough to allow us to go through pain that will turn us to Him.  We need to not prevent the same gift from being given to another.


MEDITATE ON IT

Who's spiritual growth are you inhibiting by preventing them from experiencing the pain of their own choices?

What are you really afraid will happen if you stop "helping" God and others?

How does your "helping" affect your relationships?  Do you do it for them or for yourself?


PRAY ABOUT IT

Father God, in our own understanding and will we would wish that no one would have to experience pain.  But Father, You spare no one from pain, not even Your own Son.  Give us Your perspective so we can see the work You are doing not only in our own pain, but what You are allowing in the lives of those we love.  Have mercy on us.  Open our eyes and give us wisdom to handle those we love the way You would have us do.  Forgive us for interfering in Your work, and teach us how to get out of Your way.


LIVE IN IT

"So that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us." (Acts 17:27)

"You laid affliction on our backs...we went through fire and water; but You brought us out to rich fulfillment."(Psalm 66:11-12)

"For each one shall bear his own load." (Galatians 6:5)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner