Friday, July 16, 2010

BALLERINAS AND ESKIMOS

A few weeks ago, I suggested the children think about what they wanted to do when they grow up.  I'm always careful to say "do" and not "be" because their identity is not in what they "do."

"You know with hard work and school to learn all about it, you can choose anything you want to make money with and have as a job," I said.

I let them know there are real ballerinas and real astronauts and firemen that do those things as their jobs.  That was all we said at the time.

About a week later Garrett said, "Mom, I decided what I wanted to do when I grow up!"

I was surprised he had remembered, much less been thinking about it.

"Oh, really!  Great!  What is it?" I asked.

"An Eskimo!"

I don't know about you all, but I'm too much of an "in the box" thinker.

I know most of the reason is fear, some laziness and not wanted to take a risk or get out of my comfort zone.  This convicted me of how much I don't practice what I preach.

I want my kids to do great, mighty and amazing things for God and to make an impression in this world.

I know deep down I want that for myself, too.

But most of the time...I don't do anything to contribute.

Really, what's up with that?

Why would we choose a life of settling, mediocrity, normalcy and complacency when we could be, do and have extraordinary?

"[God] is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." (Eph. 3:20)

If we are God's, we are called to live the adventurous, satisfying life of an heir to the Throne; of one sold out to Jesus.

The trick is...you have to sell out!  Give it upLay it down.

"[Jesus] said to them, 'Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.'" (Mk. 8:34-35)

We all hope our children will say they want to be President or an Eskimo, I guess, because we want the greatest for them.  Just like God wants for us, to do in us.

Why do we settle for less ourselves?


MEDITATE ON IT

Have you considered an extraordinary life, doing extraordinary things, even as a possibility?  Or are have you accepted settling as "reality?"

In your heart of hearts, your deepest desires, what would you dare to dream to do?

What's stopping you?  Fear?  Unworthiness?  Disbelief?  Laziness?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Our perfect and loving Father, who desires more for us than we would even dare for ourselves,  give us courage.  Open our eyes to Your purpose within us and the possibilities You are willing to provide for us.  Help us and teach us how to remove anything in our past or present, or fears that would prevent us from selling out to You completely.  Forgive us when we don't.  Forgive us when we hang onto the safety of controlling our own mediocre lives.  Teach us and give us the courage to think outside the box.

LIVE IN IT

"Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)

"The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, but a good man will be satisfied from above." (Proverbs 14:14)

"That you may know...what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead." (Ephesians 1:19-20a)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner