Friday, July 23, 2010

FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD

I have been thinking about how we run to our children when they are hurt and we hear their cry.

The kids will all be upstairs and one will cry and Chris will look at me and say, "What does that mean?"  There's the they-took-my-toy cry, the I'm-really-hurt cry, the I'm-not-really-hurt-but-I-need-the-attention cry, the they're-bothering-me-and-I'm-about-to-hit-them cry, and of course the I-didn't-take-a-long-enough-nap cry.

Every mom knows their children's cries.  Even with the hurt cry, I can tell how bad it is by the cry.  The longer they hold their breath the more I expect to see blood or a big knot by the time I get to them.

I've been looking for an opportunity to make a post of this topic, and just last week Abigayle handed me one.

I was sitting on the floor folding laundry as Abigayle played with her baby doll nearby.  She was telling me about her baby and what she was doing.  Her babies are all named Anna in one form or another.  Hannah. Nannah.

Abigayle said her baby was crying and so she was rocking her and singing ROCK-A-BYE BABY to her.

I said, "Oh, she's crying?"

Abigayle said, "Uh-huh.  I ran to her."

To make sure I understood her I said, "Oh, you ran to her?"

"Yeah.  She was crying, so I ran to her."

You would have to know Abigayle to know the tone she uses in comments like this.  At two years old, she says it like it's just common sense, everyone knows that!

I know for myself, believing God exists has never been a problem for me, but believing He hears me and comes running to me, I struggle with on a regular basis.

A cry from one of God's children will never go unnoticed.

"The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry." (Ps. 34:15)

"I waited patiently for the LORD; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry." (Ps. 40:1)

And He will run to us and help us.

"The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles." (Ps. 34:17)

"[God] will be very gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when He hears it, He will answer you." (Is. 30:19)

If it is only natural for us to know and run to our crying babies, how much more is our Perfect Father concerned!


MEDITATE ON IT

What characteristics of your father have interfered with your understanding of God as loving and concerned?

How would your life be different if you could fully grasp the intimate love and involvement of God in your every day life?

What things do you keep from Him because you don't think it's something He would be interested in, or willing to help you with?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, thank You for being such a loving and intimately involved parent.  You are the parent we all wish that we had.  You lack no amount of love, patience, gentleness, kindness and affection towards us.  You hope and work towards nothing but the absolute best for us, including our presence with You for eternity.  Remove from us our own preconceived notions of who and how You are, and replace in us the reality of Your love for us.  Forgive our doubt.  Cast out the fear in us with Your perfect love.

LIVE IN IT
"Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice." (Psalm 55:17)

"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)

"If you afflict them in any way, and they cry at all to Me, I will surely hear their cry...And it will be that when he cries to Me, I will hear, for I am gracious." ( Exodus 22:23,27)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner