Friday, July 2, 2010

UNDER AUTHORITY

Yesterday, I had some errands to run.  I was thinking about stopping at McDonald's before we did them so the kids would be pleasant, and pulled into the shopping center parking lot towards the restaurant.

I changed my mind.  I thought we'd see how much we got done first, then maybe we could eat at home.

I never said anything to the kids about lunch at all.  They made assumptions by my turning into the parking lot.

Garrett, Isabelle, and Abigayle began to vote about going to McDonald's or Taco Bell.  They began to persuade their case to the others.  The two older concluded Taco Bell.

They did this all the way from the parking lot, through the oil change, and back.

As we approached the intersection of the original restaurant on the way to our house, they asked about lunch.  I said since we made it through our chores, we could run home and eat.

There was a fit.

Garrett and Isabelle had decided we were going to Taco Bell for lunch and were devastated at the deviation from their plans.

They didn't have the authority to make those plans.  They were neither driving to, paying for, nor serving lunch.

Technically, the children caused themselves unnecessary pain by depending on a delusion of authority and control.

Sound familiar?

I make plans for my life:

How it is supposed to be...
What is supposed to be accomplished...
Who I'm supposed to marry...
How my children are supposed to behave...

and when MY plans are deviated from...I'm devastated.

As if I had the authority to decide.  "Do you not know...you are not your own?" (1 Cor. 6:19)

As if I had the power to make it happen.  "For without Me (Jesus) you can do nothing." (Jn. 15:5)

In Luke 7, one military man understood the value of authority in our walk with God.  The centurion had sent for Jesus to heal his sick servant who was very dear to him.

"'But say the word, and my servant will be healed.  For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me.  And I say to one, "Go," and he goes; and to another, "Come," and he comes; and to my servant, "Do this," and he does it.'" (Lk. 7:7-8)

Because he understood all things are subject to the authority of Jesus, he believed anything Jesus said would be done.

"[Jesus] marveled at him...'I have not found such great faith!'" (Lk.7:9)

Oh, that Jesus would say that of me!


MEDITATE ON IT

How would fully understanding the extent of Christ's authority change your measure of faith?


What plans have you made that disappointed you when God did not abide by them?  How could you have avoided that pain?

Over what circumstances and areas of your life have you attempted to exert authority and power that you do not possess?  What was/is the outcome?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, You are the all-powerful Creator of the Universe.  All things are subject to You, because You made it all and purposed it all.  All things were made for You, by You, through You and to glorify You.  Open our understanding to the fullness of Your authority and power.  Forgive us when we attempt to exert authority over that which is not ours.  Help us recognize our powerlessness aside from You.  Increase our faith as we subject ourselves to Your authority, and bless us in the freedom of Your power.

LIVE IN IT

"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

"Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him." (1 Peter 3:22)

"For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever." (Romans 11:36)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner