Monday, June 14, 2010

WHAT'S IN A NAME

Each week at school one family does a presentation.  One of the first weeks a family presented the meanings and reasoning behind the names of their children.  I found it so interesting I put more thought into the names of my own children.

Our oldest is Garrett Nathaniel.

Chris, my husband, chose Garrett.  I picked Nathaniel.  I thought if I let him name our first child, maybe he'd let me name the rest.  It worked!  He has warned me he'll use it against me someday though.

The Bible declares throughout the power of a name.

In Genesis 49, Jacob declares what will become of his sons.

About Reuben ("Behold, a son") he says, "Reuben, you are my firstborn." (Gen. 49:3)

Of Judah ("Praise") in verse 8 he says, "Judah, you are he whom your brothers shall praise."

Dan ("God is my judge") was told, "shall judge his people." (Gen. 49:16)

I think the most amazing, just because we know more of the story, is Joseph ("God will increase").  The second half of Genesis, chapters 37 through 50, are about Joseph and how God increased all that he had.

The prayer of one man not to live up to his name is the subject of many books.  Jabez ("Pain"), in 1 Chronicles 4:9-10, prayed "that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!"

As I thought of God's sovereignty and He naming each of my children, I began to pray their names as a testimony for them.

Garrett means "powerful with a spear."

My prayer for Garrett is that he learn to be powerful with the only Sword that is eternal and effective.

"The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God." (Eph. 6:17)

"For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword." (Heb.4:12)

Nathaniel means "gift of God."

In my first three posts I've told you how God has used Garrett's birth to bring me back to Him.  He is a living testimony of a gift God has given me, the gift of Himself.

Secondly, I pray Garrett lives as the gift he is, and as a result, is a gift to all he encounters in his lifetime.

I'll share with you the names of each of my children.  I hope you see, as I have learned, that God truly names each of us.


MEDITATE ON IT

How does acknowledging that God named you change your perspective of yourself?

How does your name offer insight about you?  About your children?

Does it provide a blessing to accept, or something, like Jabez, to overcome?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, again You demonstrate Your love and involvement with each of us by placing on us a name.  Open our eyes to what You would have us know about what You call us.  Remind us of Your sovereignty, that You are the Creator and Author of all things.  Thank You for being involved in the intimate details of who we are.  We ask that You release us from any curse associated with our name, and fulfill in us the blessings that You designed for us to have and be.

LIVE IN IT

 "I have even called you by your name; I have named you, though you have not known Me." (Isaiah 45:4)

"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches." (Proverbs 22:1)

"You shall be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD will name." (Isaiah 62:2)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner