Wednesday, June 16, 2010

MY GOD LOVING BEAUTY

My second child is Isabelle Rose.

Isabelle means "God-loving" or "consecrated to God."

It is my prayer for her, in faith that God placed this name on her for a reason, that she be set apart from this world to be His, and that she love Him above all else.

"They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." (Jn. 17:14)

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." (Deut. 6:5)

Rose means "a rose" or "beauty."

Secondly, I pray that her beauty is true.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." (1 Pet. 3:3-4)

I call her my God-loving beauty.

I would like to think, if I am intentional about it, every time I speak the names of my children I am speaking a blessing over them to be fulfilled.

James 3:1-12 describes the power of the tongue.  "The tongue is a little member and boasts great things." (Jms. 3:5)

I love this story in Numbers 22.  Yes, there are interesting stories in Numbers!

Balak, king of the Moabites, heard the Israelites were defeating the kingdoms around him.  He was "sick with dread."

Back then, if you wanted the hook-ups you had to buddy up to the prophet

Balak asks Balaam, the prophet of God, in verse 6, "please come at once, curse this people for me, for they are too mighty for me.  Perhaps I shall be able to defeat them and drive them out of the land, for I know that he whom you bless is blessed, and he whom you curse is cursed."

Balaam told the king he would only say what God wanted him to.  Balak took him up to a high hill so Balaam could see how vast the Israelites were and, hopefully, curse them.

He didn't.

Instead, Balaam blessed the Israelites.

"Then Balak said to Balaam, 'What have you done to me?  I took you to curse my enemies, and look you have blessed them bountifully!'" (Num. 23:11)

They did this three times.

King Balak was so mad after the third time, he struck his hands together and suggested that Balaam flee from him.

What could he have been so angry about?

He understood the power of the spoken word was as good as done.  For better or for worse.


MEDITATE ON IT 

 Do you exercise the power of your tongue for blessings or curses?

If you recognized your ability, daily, to speak things into fruition, how would you speak differently to your kids?  Husband?  Grocery store clerk?

What blessings or curses have been spoken over you, for better or worse?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, what an incredible and awesome tool You have given us in our tongue.  What awesome power we have that we refuse to acknowledge and yet most often use for the worse.  Forgive us Father for all the curses we have spoken over others, especially those we love the most.  Teach us how to use our words for blessings, to develop in ourselves and others the fruit of Your Spirit.  Open our eyes to these opportunities and give us the self-control to reject fleshly reactions and instead speak blessingsEmpower us for Your good with our words.

LIVE IN IT

"A tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." (Proverbs 15:4)

"With [our tongue] we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God.  Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing.  My brethren, these things ought not to be so." (James 3:9-10)

"If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless." (James 1:26)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner