Monday, June 21, 2010

WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

For Father's Day, I took the kids to pick out cards for Chris last week.

Now that Garrett understands holidays more, he really participates.

I found one that said, "Dad's a grown up who never forgot how to play!"  Garrett immediately traded for it.  Chris loved them all, of course.

At church, they offered "Happy Father's Days" to the guys, and reminded us all that God is our Father.

That got me thinking.

I know God is my Father.  I don't mean I know intellectually.  I mean, I know with all my heart, and proven by my experiences with Him, that God is my everlasting, ever faithful, all loving Daddy.

But, as a mom, what about my kids?

There are a lot of times I release my children into God's care, turn to Him to guide me in raising the children He has entrusted to me, and trust He will work out all things for their good, including my horrendous mistakes.

Then there's all the other times...

...and I'm Mama Bear and MY children are in danger, and everything calm and logical slips out the window, and I'll devour, I mean devour, any threat in their way including their dad!

So, this weekend I practiced grasping the concept, truly, that God is THEIR Father, too.

I love this passage in Matthew 7:9-11.

"What man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent?  If you then, BEING EVIL, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"

Alcoholism runs in our families.  I have four children.  There is a very real possibility one of them may be an addict.

Can I trust God with that?

I know His interest is in their character, their need for Him, and He being glorified through a beautiful story of redemption in each of their lives.

In order for them to be redeemed, they have to first be lost!  Some worse than others.  Ouch!

I also hold on to the promise that my faithfulness will impact their future.

"He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments." (Deut. 7:9)


MEDITATE ON IT

I once heard "God doesn't have any grandchildren."  How do you treat God as a grandparent of your children?

What areas of your children's lives are you not willing to hand over to God?

How would trusting God more in your personal relationship with Him impact your children's relationship with God?  Your relationship with your children?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, You are not only our Father, but the Father of our children.  We, being evil, give good things to our children, how much more will You give them good things.  Help us to truly see and believe that they are Yours.  Forgive us when we attempt to take from You what is not ours.  Open our eyes to our powerlessness to raise them, protect them, and guide them, apart from You.  Provide these things through us as we submit to Your will for them.

LIVE IN IT

"As a father pities his children, so the LORD pities those who fear Him." (Psalm 103:13)

"A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy habitation." (Psalm 68:5)

"The righteous man walks in his integrity; his children are blessed after him." (Proverbs 20:7)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner