Monday, August 16, 2010

MAYBE TO YOU

I don't remember what it was now, but the other day I was explaining something to Garrett.

It was a conceptual idea, not practical or tangible thing he could look at to understand.

I finished up with, "Does that make sense?"  I wanted to make sure he was understanding me.

"No," he replied, "well, maybe to you, but not to me."

Garrett had the understanding that something could make sense to me, and not necessarily make sense to him.

I cannot tell you the arguments my husband and I used to have over this very subject!  He would ask me if I understood him, and I would say yes, and he would argue that I didn't.

Finally one day I thought to ask, "Are you asking me if I understand what you're saying, or if I agree with you?"  To him they were one in the same, but they are two very different questions.

So often we generalize our perspective as universal reality.

For example: "If it doesn't make sense to me, then it must not make sense."

God made us each as individuals.

We are all different on purpose, not by defect.

Each made with strengths, weaknesses, soft spots, callings, gifts, personalities, energy levels, and character traits.

Romans 12:6 reminds us "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us."

By restricting others to our way of thinking, or our area of expertise, or our passions we are really missing out on the joy and beauty of working together, sharing the burden and work of the gospel of Jesus.

We do this, I'm convinced, on a regular basis without recognizing it.  Both conforming others to our life, or conforming ourselves to the lives of others.

Dave Ramsey says in his Financial Peace University about couples, "If both of you were just alike, one of you is unnecessary."

Instead of criticizing one another for thinking differently, or having different gifts and callings, let's instead open our eyes to the beauty of God's resourcefulness.

He gave some a heart for the poor.  Some a heart for the rich.

Some a heart for the old.  Some a heart for the young.

Some a heart for the near.  Some a heart for the far.

Some a heart of song.  Some a heart for math.

Mine is women.  I thrive on engaging and encouraging women to devote their lives more fully to God.  It's what makes me tick.

Kids on the other hand... =)


MEDITATE ON IT

As I heard the other day, what "revs your engine?"  What ministry or people tug at your heart every time?

Why do you cast your opinions and perspectives as generalizations?  Fear?  Jealousy?  Pride?

How would understanding your gifts and personality type change your perceptions of others?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, You are so unique and creative.  Thank You for enabling us individually to carry just one small load of the kingdom of God.  Forgive us for criticizing others for being just as You made them to be, and attempting to make them like us.  Help us to see the beauty in diversity.  Help us to embrace and engage one another and grow stronger and more efficient as we work together.  Teach us how to do this.  Use this all to bring us together in the unity Jesus desired for us.

LIVE IN IT

"For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function...Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them." (Romans 12:4,6a)

"There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.  And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all...But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He will."
(1 Corinthians 12:4-7,11)

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Matthew 7:2)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner