Saturday, August 14, 2010

MEETING NEEDS

This last weekend myself and the kids went to Ft. Worth to visit family.  My two aunts, from Colorado and Austria, were there also.  These were my dad's sisters.  They had met my two oldest children, but not the younger two.

There were also four children in my dad's family, who were close in age like mine.

One of my aunts had asked what the age difference was between my oldest and the youngest.

I answered, "5 1/2 years."  She said there was 4 years and 5 months between the four of them.

Her next comment any Mom would "Amen."

She said, "And then I had children of my own and forgave my mom A LOT!"

I think it's a shame sometimes we have to be in another's shoes, almost literally, before we can offer sympathy and compassion.

We often assume we would handle things differently as we judge others are in their circumstances.

I don't know about you, but particularly in my parenting and in my marriage I see myself falling into the same patterns I used to criticize others for.  As I strive to break free from them, I still fight the sin nature we all have that inhibits us from being who God created us to be.

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." (Rom. 7:18)

I sense God lately either convicting me or attempting to invoke in me compassion for those in need.  This seems to be the opposite of judging.

Jesus is such and outrageous and beautiful example of compassion.  Of all the people who have ever walked the earth, He would have the most justification in judging and criticizing those around Him, but He overwhelmingly did the opposite.

"[Jesus] was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick." (Matt. 14:14)

"Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him." (Matt. 20:34)

"Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. 'I am willing,' he said. 'Be clean!'" (Mk. 1:41)

"When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things." (Mk. 6:34)

I challenge you to allow the needs of others to move you too with compassion.


MEDITATE ON IT

When you find yourself judging another, what is it inside you that you don't want to face?

How could you instead identify the needs of others?

Challenge: When you see others' needs, visualize yourself with those very needs.  Don't forget to meet what needs you can!

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father God, what a beautiful and moving example of compassion You are!  The Creator God of the Universe who compassionately reached out to humanity who could not save themselves.  Father, open our eyes to the needs of others and give us the courage to be compelled to love them as we would want to be loved.  Remove whatever is in us that would inhibit empathy towards another in need.  Humble us Father in the love You have offered us, to do the same for others.

LIVE IN IT

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32)

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." (Colossians 3:12)

"Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble." (1 Peter 3:8)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner