Monday, September 27, 2010

MINI-ME'S

Yesterday, as we were having our Sunday lunch out, Chris and I were attempting to have a reasonable conversation with the kids.

Sometimes, it's practically impossible.

I don't remember what Chris asked Garrett, but his answer was, "yeah."

We don't let them respond to us with "yeah."  The word is "yes."

"Excuse me?" asked Chris.

"Yeah," responded Garrett with a face to tease Chris.

"Excuse me?" Chris tried again.

"Yeah," more dramatic in tone and expression.  "Yeah."  "Yeah." "Yeah."  Getting worse every time.

By now, Chris and I were having telepathic words across the table with grins on our faces.  Without opening our mouths I said, "That's your son!" and Chris said, "I know, he's just like me!"

Then Isabelle, without looking up, pipes up with, "Oh, brother!"

(That's what I always say.)

Chris looked at me.  "It's like sitting at a table full of us!"

"Frightening!" I replied.

Do you have the same response at the idea that your children (or anyone else) are/will be just like you?

Listen to this:  "I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children I warn you.  For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.  Therefore I urge you, imitate me.  For this reason I have sent Timothy to you, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach everywhere in every church." (1 Cor. 4:14-17)

What?!

Oh, that I could say that freely to my children!  It's my hearts deepest desire to warn them of a life outside of God's will, to be their strongest influence (which obviously I am), to be as I want them to be so completely I can tell them to imitate me, and when I'm not around, to send someone to remind them of how I am in Christ.

But, honestly, I don't think I can completely wrap my brain around that being reality.

Behaviorally, that is.

But..."the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Sam. 16:17)

I do love God with all of my heart!  I CAN tell my children to imitate me in heart!


MEDITATE ON IT

Who is in your realm of influence?  (Everywhere you go!)

What areas of your heart and life could you tell them to imitate you?

What areas can you begin to take steps to change so you could say this of them too?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father, thank You that You provide examples for us in the flesh to give us hope of how we can be.  Thank You for being the ultimate example in Your Son.  Give us the full understanding of the power of influence that we possess whether for good or evil.  Only through the power of Your Spirit within us can we be the light and salt You intend us to be.  Empower us Father.  Forgive us when we quench Your Spirit.  Remove any obstacles from our heart, lives and relationships.

LIVE IN IT

"Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)

"As in water face reflects face, so a man's heart reveals the man." (Proverbs 27:19)

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?...You are the light of the world...Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:13a, 14a, 16)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner