Saturday, September 25, 2010

THE WAYS OF ME(N)

If it were up to my kids, their lives would look a lot different.

Instead of scrambled, DHA-eggs and plain yogurt with fruit, nuts and honey for breakfast, they'd have donuts.

Instead of two to three hours of phonics, math, handwriting and memory work, they'd watch TV.

Instead of an 8 p.m. bedtime, they'd stay up till 10 p.m.

Things that they think would be wonderful, would ruin them.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." (Prov. 14:12)

Notice Proverbs doesn't say, "a way that seems right to a child."  I have to say, I find myself waist deep in my way sometimes, and have to ask God to pull me out.  If it were up to God, I think some areas of my life would look different.

Instead of spending my evenings watching TV, He'd have me invite unbelieving neighbors for dinner.

Instead of filling all my free time with "ministries" and "volunteer work," He'd have me be still and talk to my kids or my husband.

Instead of busying myself to feel worthy of a holy God, He'd have me rest in His grace.

The truth is, any self-will, even well intended self-will, is idolatry, pride, and sin.  I work diligently to make my life, my husband's life, and the lives of my children, the best they can be.  It never fails that when I don't stop and ask God first, I find myself overwhelmed, stressed out, discontented, and damaging all my relationships because they are lining up with my will.

This reminds me that God's ways are not my ways.

I know God places within me the desires of my heart;  for my children to be healthy, educated, and love God, for my husband to need and love God above all else, for myself to serve and love others and share the hope of God's redeeming love.

But He doesn't accomplish things the way I would.

I would rather my character defects be removed in one hearty prayer, than have opportunities to practice obedience with His Spirit's guidance.  I would rather everyone be happy and suffer no pain, than use affliction to seek eternal joy in Him.

"Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (1 Cor. 1:25)

Trust and obey...for there's no other way...to be happy in Jesus...but to trust and obey.


MEDITATE ON IT

What do you know is rooted in your own will, but refuse to give over to God?  Why?

What are you afraid will or won't happen if you follow God's leading?

Do you find yourself avoiding asking God because then you might have to obey?

PRAY ABOUT IT

Father God, You are just that, our loving Daddy.  Your love for us is extravagant and Your ways are wise.  Remove the blinders that lead us to believe that our way works.  Forgive us for not trust You, the only one who is trustworthy.  Forgive us for refusing to give You what is rightfully Yours...all of us.  Stamp on our hearts the extent of our foolishness, and draw our eyes to Your will.  Speak comfort and truth into our wounded hearts to give us the courage to trust and follow You.

LIVE IN IT

"For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe." (1 Corinthians 1:21)

"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD." (Isaiah 55:8)

"I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies.  I made haste and did not delay to keep Your commandments."
(Psalm 119:59-60)
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner